According to Handy, many people avoid doing home improvement since they believe it to be a costly project. However, home improvement doesn’t have to be that expensive. In fact, if you create a good plan and proceed one step at a time, you can upgrade your home within your budget while having a ton of fun.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few home improvement tips you can follow on a limited budget:
- Kitchen renovation ideas – You can reduce the cost of kitchen renovation by refacing, painting, and staining your existing cabinets instead of replacing them altogether. Other options include only replacing the doors or the hardware such as the hinges and the handles.
You can replace the kitchen backsplash yourself with the help of peel-and-stick tiles that you can purchase online. Finally, if you want to create an open kitchen, you can opt to remove doors instead of tearing down the walls to reduce costs.
- Bedroom renovation ideas – For bedroom renovation, you can start by creating accent walls. Simply add some paint of contrasting colors on two sides of your bedroom walls and keep the remaining two opposite walls in a neutral color.
Next, you can add some mirrors to the closet doors to make the room feel bigger. Hanging a few pieces of art can also elevate the decor of the interior. You can also opt to add an intricate light fixture on the ceiling.
- Bathroom renovation ideas – Replacing the old shower head in your bathroom with a new one can transform your shower experience. Plus, modern showerheads utilize less water. You can use a custom cleaning solution made with vinegar or baking soda to thoroughly clean the shower doors, faucets, and other parts of the bathroom instead of purchasing new ones.
Refinishing and reglazing the bathtub makes more sense if it’s in a good condition since it would save you more money.
- Living room renovation ideas – There are lots of ways to improve your living room on a budget. For instance, you can add accent lighting to direct the attention of people to certain art pieces in your living room and improve the ambiance. Additionally, you can add faux wood details such as beadboard, wainscoting, and ceiling trim to add some interesting details.
To get rid of the popcorn ceiling, you can simply use a handheld scraper to save money. However, you have to be careful since the process can be quite messy.
- Entryway renovation ideas – Laminate or vinyl flooring on the entry makes the entryway easy to clean, durable, and it’s also one of the cheapest options. Plus, if you have some space, consider adding a few storage units along the sides to increase its appeal.
Handy believes it is okay to complete renovating one room at a time. This would lower the burden of the expenses and allow you to methodically improve the rooms in your house. With some DIY skills and by watching a few YouTube videos on home improvement, you can also save some money on labor costs and hiring professionals as well.